Wondering if you really need to see your dentist every six months for care?
You’ve been putting off your next dental cleaning. Perhaps you just feel too busy these days, or you simply have dental anxiety that keeps you from coming into the office. We’ve heard all the reasons and excuses for why people don’t get regular preventive dental care, but it’s nothing to avoid or be scared of. Our Fairbanks, AK, dentists Dr. Ecsile Chang and Dr. Michael Helmbrecht can help protect and preserve your natural smile with the help of these six-month checkups.
Why are these preventive dental checkups so important?
Adopting good oral health early on is key to maintaining a healthy smile in the future. This is why everyone from one to 100 years old needs to visit our Fairbanks, AK, dentists twice a year for routine prophylactic care. Why it is so important that you don’t skip out on these six-month checkups? These visits can,
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup
- Reduce your risk for developing decay and gum disease
- Detect dental problems early when they are easier to treat
- Screen for and detect oral cancer during the early stages
- Remove dental stains and brighten smiles
- Provide early dental interventions such as orthodontics that can correct problems early on
- Identify potentially serious health problems such as diabetes (many systemic diseases produce oral symptoms that we can easily detect at your next routine checkup)
What does preventive dentistry entail?
As you probably already know, preventive dentistry’s main goal is to keep mouths healthy and clean. Since oral hygiene can also impact our overall health, you must be providing your teeth and gums with the same great care that you give the rest of your body. Along with visiting your dentist, other preventive dentistry practices that you should adopt include,
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Making sure you are getting enough fluoride
- Flossing daily
- Staying hydrated
- Replacing your toothbrush head every 3-4 months or after illness
- Using an antimicrobial mouthwash
- Avoiding sugar and starches
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Quitting or avoiding tobacco products
- Limiting alcohol consumption
Are you on the hunt for a new dentist in Fairbanks, AK, that can cater to you and your family’s dental needs? Need to schedule your dental cleaning with us? If so, call Chang Family Dental today at (907) 456-1237 to book your next visit.